TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE Toys May Give Us An Idea Of How The New Foursome Will Look
If you are like me, you are looking forward to the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie about as much as you would if you were about to pee on an electrical fence. There are a few things that may help boost my excitement for this movie, such as William Fichtner taking on the role of Shredder, But it should be noted that in some of his past interviews, he comes across as only doing this for the paycheck. There was also that little rumor about the action sequences in the film being compared to those featured in The Raid. Honestly, that’s going to be hard to do, but I’m willing to see what they can do.
One of the biggest questions is what the four turtles, Shredder and Splinter will look like. As we know, Michael Bay, who is producing, and Jonathan Liebesman, the director, will be using motion capture for the main characters, as we’ve seen in many of the behind-the-scenes images. The folks over at Idle Hands (via Bleeding Cool) have posted some descriptions of some of the toys that will correlate with the film, so we may have an idea of what to expect. Now, the toys don’t always match the film’s final design, so these descriptions shouldn’t be taken to heart just yet, but they are interesting to say the least. Check out the descriptions:
- Each turtle has the weapons they should have. (YAY!) 2 swords for Leo, a staff for Don, 2 sais for Raph, a pair of nunchucks and a three sectioned staff for Mikey.
- Each turtle looks LIKE A TURTLE and not alien…at all. (BIGGER YAY!) In fact the designs are quite traditional and unremarkable, and feature far less texture than the 90′s movie turtles. Eyes are fairly normal and not cartoonishly large. No beak along the nose area like some speculated. Three fingers and two toes.
- Amazingly, each character appeared to have a different physique with some (like Raphael and Leonardo) having super heroey muscle tone (though Raph appears more pumped up than Leo) and Donatello appearing slimmer..leaner. Michelangelo could possibly be slightly shorter than the rest.
They go on to say that each of the turtles feature their respective colored bandanna and that each of them has a specific style of dress. For instance, Leonardo features a pseudo -samurai get-up, Donatello wears a techy/modern version of a samurai get-up, Raphael is wearing an urban warrior style setup, with bandages wrapped around several limbs and a gladiator-style, leather loin cloth. Michelangelo dons the most simple look, with a hoodie wrapped around his waist, pants and sneakers. As for Splinter and Shredder, the former is about what we’d expect and the latter may have some people up in arms.
- Again, a very traditional design.
- Hair pulled up in a samurai..nub? Fu Manchu facial hair going on.
- His eyes seemed a little odd but I couldn’t make out what was going on there.
- Slightly tattered samurai outfit with a blue upper half with gold accents, tan lower belted robes and blocky sandals.
- Comes with a samurai sword.
- This guy looks like he owns stock in the Ronco knife company! Pointy edges coming off of absolutely anything. He’ll be the stuff of ridicule for some time. Very overcomplicated outfit.
- Helmet is pseudo-traditional, adopting elements of the classic look (mostly the shape and key elements) with the top coming down over the eyes to the nose. Mouth area is recessed.
- Describing the rest of this armor is a nightmare. Suffice to say, even though he’s covered head to toe in metal armor or blades, his arms are still mostly bare. It’s a bit comical. He’s got the shoulder pieces with the blades coming off them, the shin armor with the blades coming off them, black armor areas to offset the steel parts and a cape that looks metal with blades coming down the side. I’d expect we’ll see him whip that around in battle.
- His only weapons (beyond his whole body) seem to be the bladey thingies coming off his forearm armor. The one on his right arm seems incredibly complicated..maybe a spinning blade?
Again, it is not confirmed that these toys reflect the final design that we will see in the film next summer. The annual toy fair is coming up next month, so we should be seeing some actual images of these toys about that same time. With the film hitting theaters next August, we can expect to see some sort of trailer, a teaser if nothing else, in the coming months as well. What do you think of these designs? Something you’d like to see on film or were you expecting something different? Check out the link above for more details on April O’Neil and more on the turtles.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stars Megan Fox, William Fitchner, Danny Woodburn, Whoopi Goldberg, Will Arnett, Alan Ritchson, Pete Ploszek, Jeremy Howard, Noel Fisher, and Abby Elliott. Michael Bay and Jonathan Liebesman are producing, with Liebesman also serving as director.