Kevin Feige Talks Guardians Of The Galaxy And Teases Rest Of Phase 2

by

feige bannerJoss Whedon may be the Godfather of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Kevin Feige was there from the very beginning. I guess you could call him the father of the MCU, or at least the cool uncle. Feige spoke with SFX Magazine about Marvel‘s slate of upcoming films for their upcoming issue. Ahead of the magazine’s release, they have teased part of it on their website. Feige comments on James Gunn‘s highly secretive Guardians of the Galaxy as well as Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man.

Marvel will start to tap their cosmic characters somewhat in Phase 2 with both Guardians and Thor. Feige was asked if it would be fair to label Phase 2 as the “cosmic” phase:

I wouldn’t say that in a broad sense. The Thor film and the Guardians Of The Galaxy film certainly are cosmic. Guardians and Thor will take the brunt of the cosmic side of the universe, particularly Guardians, which is 95% in space. I think Iron Man 3 shows the other side of Phase 2, which is delving deeper into the characters. Throwing them on a much more personal journey. And Captain America will showcase… What’s exciting to me about Cap – sort of about Iron Man 3 too if you look at it – is it’s tonally almost like a different genre. Shane Black’s described Iron Man 3 as a Tom Clancy sort of political thriller, which I like a lot. We hired our directors on Cap because they loved our explanation that we really want to make a ’70s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie. Just like with the first film – we got Joe Johnston because we said, ‘We want to do a ’40s World War Two movie masquerading as a big superhero movie.’ I love that we’re doing a sequel to a film that’s a completely different genre than the first film. I think that’s fun. And the comics do it all the time.

Guardians of the galaxy cardIf Guardians is “95% in space” that still leaves 5% set somewhere else. SFX asked if Guardians will be an integral part of setting up Avengers 2, similar to how the other movies laid the groundwork for the first one. Feige said don’t count on it:

I would say that it does not. It’s much more of a standalone film. It takes place in the same universe. And when we’ve been on the other side of that universe in other movies, you might see those characteristics in Guardians, but the Avengers are not involved with what’s happening out there at this time.

Feige may be telling a little bit of a fib by saying Guardians will be more of a standalone film. He did kind of leave it open by saying “the Avengers are not involved with what’s happening out there at this time” emphasis added by me. Regardless, it seems Marvel have learned from Green Lantern‘s mistake and will  have the Guardians out and about in the cosmos. What do you think about Feige’s comments on Guardians of the Galaxy? What about the teasers for Thor, Cap, and Iron Man?

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

This article was submitted by one of ComicBookTherapy’s contributors. Every contributor must agree and abide by ComicBookTherapy’s Site User Agreement. ComicBookTherapy.com is protected from liability under “OCILLA” (Online Copyright Infringement Liablity Limitation Act) and will actively enforce said provisions. If you represent an individual or company and feel as though this article has infringed on any of our terms or any existing copyrights, please contact us for a speedy removal.


Source : SFX