As Details Emerge As To Why Edgar Wright Left ANT-MAN Paul Rudd Is Still On Board To Star
Last week’s stunning revelation that Edgar Wright will no longer be directing Ant-Man still has fans reeling a bit. In the press release that was put out by Marvel, the reason for his departure was amicable and due to creative differences. But that’s not good enough for fans. A project that they were so excited for and had been following long before Iron Man was brought to them had to have more of an explanation.
The Hollywood Reporter has done some digging and have found the root cause of the problem. Their sources tell them Marvel has been unhappy with Wright for weeks. Production on the film, which was scheduled to begin on June 2nd, was put on hold while Kevin Feige ordered re-writes on the script. Wright was open to the re-writes early in the process, but these new ones took place without his or co-writer Joe Cornish’s input. He received the updated script somewhere around May 19th, and decided that the film was not his vision anymore thus leading to the decision to end his work on it.
Another factor that could have led to the split between Wright and Marvel is that the company doesn’t seem to have a lot of faith that the character will do well. THR’s sources tell them that Marvel is feeling particularly vulnerable by sticking their neck out there with this Summer’s unconventional superhero movie, Guardians Of The Galaxy.
Despite the turmoil surrounding the movie, at this time Paul Rudd is still on board to star in the film. Rudd is on board to star as Scott Lang who in the comics, is the second Ant-Man. The report makes no mention of other stars of the film and whether or not they will leave or not, but it would be highly unlikely that they would.
Marvel is still looking to keep the original July 17, 2015 release date. The search for a new director is currently underway, but there have been no names or front runners announced. However, a source told THR that the key crew positions will be filled shortly.
Many people seem to have lost interest in the project because they were only interested to see what Wright did with Ant-Man. With him off the project now fans are sitting on pins and needles to see who will take over. It seems as if Marvel is in way to far to scrap the project now. But I wouldn’t be surprised, even though they say there are no plans to, if they delay the film. For the latest on Ant-Man, make sure to check back here at Comic Book Therapy.
This article was submitted by one of ComicBookTherapy’s contributors. Every contributor must agree and abide by ComicBookTherapy’s Site User Agreement. ComicBookTherapy.com is protected from liability under “OCILLA” (Online Copyright Infringement Liablity Limitation Act) and will actively enforce said provisions. If you represent an individual or company and feel as though this article has infringed on any of our terms or any existing copyrights, please contact us for a speedy removal.
Source : The Hollywood Reporter