Chronicle 2 “Will Probably Happen” But Not With Max Landis And Josh Trank
Chronicle was a surprise smash hit, quickly propelling writer Max Landis and director Josh Trank (as well as Michael B. Jordan and Dane DeHaan who we’ve been hearing a lot about lately) into superstar status. Trank signed up for a Venom movie shortly thereafter, but nothing ever came of it. He is however actively working on the Fantastic Four reboot. Landis has several irons in the fire and is currently working on the movie that will be his directorial debut, Me Him Her. The duo had teased the possibility of a Chronicle sequel on several occasions and said they were working toward getting it made. Well tonight Landis took to his Twitter account and revealed the movie is still happening…it just won’t involve the film’s original creators.
Landis responded to a fan who Tweeted him a picture of the DVD of Chronicle and said he was ready for number 2. The writer responded “As of right now, neither Josh and I are on Chronicle 2, so…” Someone asked for more details if he was at liberty to say anything, and that resulted in this statement from Landis over the course of several Tweets:
I’ve been off Chronicle 2 for months now. Fox had a different direction they wanted to take the series. Josh was never attached. Ultimately, I’m very grateful to Fox for making a film as close to my original script as Chronicle was. For making the film at all. So yeah it’s sad that as of right now I’m not involved in the sequel and don’t know what it’s about even, but ultimately I can’t complain. As a screenwriter, I’ve been incredibly lucky so far. And hell, I start directing my first feature on Monday, so it’s like…I don’t know.
The truth is, when you’re successful as a screenwriter, you have to just take everything in stride. That’s like more than half the job. Chronicle 2 is still probably happening, just not with my involvement as of now. It’s a bummer, but there are no real hard feelings. They hired new writers on it. I’m sure they’ll announce soon. Just hope this answers the questions I’ve been getting everyday. Basically the message here is: GO SEE FRANKENSTEIN and ME HIM HER and when I upload my stupid Superman thing in a few days WATCH THAT TOO. And hey,GO SEE @fruitvalemovie, @SpiderManMovie, @CarrieMovie and Josh’s Fantastic Four!!! #ChronicleBabies
He ended with “Soooooo…….Internet. AM I DEAD TO YOU NOW?” I think I speak for the internet by saying Landis is still very much alive to us. He is working on a video pitch for a Death and Return of Superman movie to have a little fun during filming of his movie. It won’t be as elaborate as his legendary video short for the story starring Elijah Wood, but it will be just as hilarious I’m sure.
Chronicle was like capturing lighting in a bottle, and without Landis and Trank involved it may be harder to try and recapture that magic. Landis doesn’t seem angry about the situation, so that’s a pretty good sign at least. With Landis going public tonight, the official announcement about the new screenwriters may have to be made a lot sooner than Fox had intended. What do you think about Chronicle 2 going forward without the duo? Do you think it could live up to the original without Landis and Trank overseeing it?
Source : Max Landis/UpToMyKness Twitter